Wednesday 17 August 2011

My first real step into barefooting

After the realisation set in that I wouldn't be running a marathon in October and that my knee may take nore than an ice pack and some wishful thinking to heal, I came to the conclusion that I would be best starting from scratch. 

Having accomplished many goals in running over the past two years, I decided that it was time to review those goals, dust them off and make sure they were still relevant. And while there will be more to follow on this, I decided a good way to a fresh start would be some new shoes.

Inspired by Born To Run and some serious bloggers (BarefootAngieBee being one) I decided to take the first step (pun intended, and I now it's obvious) into barefooting.

Having bought some very good Vibram Fivefinger immitations (damn you believable graphics and unregistered websites) I went all old fashioned and went to a shop.

The staff in Ellis Brigham in Milton Keynes were excellent and after 5 seconds of deliberating I bought the new Merrell Trailglove. This new shoe coincided perfectly with a return to running and gave me an excuse to drop my distance while I put some strength back into my knees and some minimalist shoes on my feet.

With my knee still hurting and an allergy to Ibuprofen, I set out tentatively, feeling in my heart that I was ready to run, to rise like a phoenix from the ashes. To soar like an.......

I wasn't ready.

Hobbling home wondering how long I'd have to wait to be fixed, a strange thing happened. Something made me stop running. By something I mean some people.

And by some people I mean 5'000 angry rioters.

Next thing you know I'm called into work and churn out an 82 hour work week. No time to run. No time to diet. I literally sleep and work, not always at different times.

And a week later I finally come out of my work coma. Kit on, new trainers in place, eyes myopically adjusting to the big bright ball in the sky. I stretch, I warm up and with baited breath I take my first steps in my Trailgloves.....

The review

Despite how substantial they look be under no illusion, The TG (TrailGlove) is a minimalist shoe. There is a surprising amount of support, especially in the midsole and they have plenty of traction. The lacing system ensures a snug fit and after a 5k blast on mixed terrains, there was no discomfort and no rubbing. The materials on the upper ensure the foot is kept cool and these things weigh nothing. You really feel like you are barefoot.


There is enough sole to ensure that stones and gravel don't hurt but it's thin enough that you can feel every part of the terrain. As yo can se in the picture below the sole is insanely flexible and it allows the foot to move naturally, encouraging a neutral running style. The toebox is big enough to allow toes to splay which helps with finding stability.

Over wet and dry terrain, grass, gravel mud and chalk the shoes gave good response, great traction and excellent support. I'm looking to get back up to 10 k in the next two weeks so we'll see how they do over a longer distance. I'd recomment these to anyone who wants to move towards barefoot running but doesn't want to go naked just yet.

UPPER/LINING
• Microfiber and breathable air mesh upper
• Merrell Omni-Fit™ lacing system secured with welded TPU provides a precise, glove-like fit
• Fused rubber toe bumper provides ultimate durability
• Synthetic leather rear foot sling provides stability
• Flexible plate in the forefoot protects the foot from stone bruises
• Non-removable microfiber footbed treated with Aegis® antimicrobial solution resists odor

MIDSOLE/OUTSOLE
• 4mm compression molded EVA midsole cushions
• 1mm forefoot shock absorption plate maintains forefoot flexibility and protects the foot by distributing pressure
• 0mm ball to heel drop keeps you connected to your terrain
• Wash as needed in cold water, gentle cycle and air dry
• Vibram® Trail Glove Sole/ Rubber Compound TC-1

No comments:

Post a Comment