Monday 23 May 2011



The above picture is where I found myself about three miles into a ten mile run I completed today. Deciding to take the road less often travelled lead me to a whole new set of trails and a new target for training runs.

The map below shows the route I took but doesn't tell the whole story.

The ten miles was done in a steady pace, with rests for water and with no intention of setting a blistering pace or beating a record. And it was awesome. Just being out there, in the sun and being part of  the environment gave that feeling of adventure that I've been craving.




The route started on road for about two k before taking a turning onto a public footpath which was single track but pretty smooth. When I emerged onto a busy road, I figured I was in for a couple of  miles of exhaust fumes and roadkill but along the way I saw a small gap in a hedge and another public footpath sign. The sign indicated a narrow track through some farmland and over the horizon (see image above) and pointed towards the target of my next decent run. The beacon hill in Ivinghoe. I reckon the round trip on trails will be about13 miles and very hilly.

I decided it was too far to go on this trip so found an alternative and equally rambling route to get home, finishing the last 2 k over the bottom of the Chiltern Downs.

A great run that made me realise that a lot of what I love about running is the sense of exploration and discovery.

I think I shall entitle my memoirs "The road less taken".....


On the subject of weight loss, as this blog was supposed to be about that as well), my new diet continues wto work with weight currently coming in at 12st 4lbs, the least I've been in eight years.

My diet works and has introduced me to new foods, but sucks for the very reasons it work..
* No bread
* No sugar
* No pasta
* No rice
* No alcohol.

Hard work but working, so I guess it's worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment