Sunday 5 June 2011

What an amazing day!!!


When Jake and I signed up for a run at the zoo nearby I was a little bit worried.

For starters taking three kids anywhere is like planning a military operation, especially when one is four  months old.

Secondly, this would be my first "proper" run of the year, with other people and a big scary clock.
Thirdly I had all of the concerns about Jake running his first ever race and I know how he heaps pressure upon himself.

I can't imagine where he gets it from

Now all my previous blogs will attest to the changes I have made in my life in an attempt to improve myself and my running. And the more bizarre ones suggest those two things are somehow entwined.

But after losing over 20 lbs, getting the right kit, reading all sorts of training techniques and training my arse off on trails I was hoping for a good performance.

My previous PB for a 10k was 49.08, which was on the trails,but I'm equally slow/fast on road/trails so any improvement on this would have been good.

I concentrated on form today.

I checked my pace regularly, I kept my back straight and head up, I was light on my feet and smiling as I went.
I used the first of three laps to identify features and ascents/descents for the following laps and relaxed on the way down. On the way up the hills I took smaller steps and sped up my pace.

I constanttly concentrated on maintaining form and an amazing thing happened.....

I smashed every record and PB I have had, finishing the race in 43.03, better than my planned time and faster than I would have hoped for.
I also set a new PB for 5k, fastest mile and fastest kilometre.



Next up was Jake's 2k race. He was nervous on the start line, but set a really steady pace. After a few people went past him as they set off too fast, he slowly started to carve his way through the field.

He overtook people older than him and was one of the youngest there.

He kept a good pace all the way round and when he saw the finish line, he sprinted the last 300 metres.

He finished in about 13 minutes and made us all very very very proud.

A great day all round.


Strangest part of the day was me not being able to finish a McDonald's for the first time in my life. I'll say it before you do....

I've changed.


No comments:

Post a Comment