Saturday 24 September 2011

Just one day to go...


Work is over for a few days, as well as the normal family stuff I now have a day to prepare for the race tomorrow. Although in all honesty, I've been preparing for this for ages.

I can safely say that this is the race I have most prepared for in the two years since I took my first (difficult and awkward) steps into the world of running. I've run further and faster than ever before and am in the best shape of my life (yet, I have by no means finished).

DirtRunning are a local company who arrange trail runs of various lengths, this one is short at only 5 miles but is set in the beautiful Ashridge Estate about five miles from where I live and train.

The hills in the distance covered in cloud are part of tomorrows race.
So this morning's run was just three miles of loosening up, a few hills, a fats downhill section, but nothing too gnarly or difficult that I could hurt myself or go too fast.
The weather in this country is famously unpredictable, so after a wet Summer and a grey start to Autumn, it came as no surprise but with a great amount of pleasure that the sun was up, the air was fresh and the sky was clear. It's just the kind of weather I love to trailrun in.

I'm wearing the Garmin tomorrow to track my pace and the target will be 7:15 min/miles. This is fast for me, especially on unknown trails but I think it's achievable. I'll also be wearing the immense Merrell Trailgloves, the best running shoes I have owned.

So the plan is no booze tonight, lots of water, a nice light dinner and an early night.
'Cos tomorrow is race day, and that's my favourite day of the week.



No comments:

Post a Comment