Tuesday 25 October 2011

The decision to go ultra.

I have made some big decisions in my time. I work in a job where I make potentially life changing decisions on a regular basis and I like to think I’m good at making the right ones.

So when I considered doing an ultra-marathon next year I did my research, considered what would be required of me. Weighed this up against the sense of satisfaction that will come from completing a 70 mile race and knew it was the right decision. The biggest challenge, other than the event itself, will doubtless be the amount of training required and how time consuming that will be, especially with a young family and a career on the go as well. But I honestly feel like this is the right time for me.

Telling people of my plans has been interesting. A mixture of responses, some abusive and some complimentary, but in the main, no-one seems particularly surprised. This means that either people have got bored of by running chatter and now tune me out, or, are no longer surprised at the challenges I’ll set myself. I hope it’s the second.

My previous big target for next year was my first marathon in April 2012, but now that will be a training run to assess pace etc for the ultra-marathon in July. The 7 laps of the ten mile course are run within a 26 hour window in Summer in Lincolnshire and now that dates have been confirmed I’m just waiting for entries to open. (www.fat-feet.co.uk)

Training has already started, with the increase in distance I will be doing in training, I’m planning on dropping a run per week and replacing it with a gym session to develop other complimentary muscles. Looking through some great resources (www.ultramarathonrunning.com etc) it also seems that increased core strength is important so that features heavily in my plan.

I’ve also considered losing more weight, but I’m not going to focus too much on dropping into the 11 stone barrier. I’m guessing that with all the running I’ll be doing weight loss won’t be a problem.

I guess that we all make decisions, some are big and some are small. Some are made easily and some require intense thought. But all decisions have an impact. This one is going to see me getting up earlier, training longer and harder than ever before. And to fit that in with everything else I’m going to have to take a leaf out of Dean KARNAZES’ book and run through the night if necessary.

But running has become such a fundamental part of my life now, such a constant that looking at this sort of challenge just feels right Like I said, I’m happy that I’ve made the right decision.


4 comments:

  1. I think you need to have a few more marathons under yr belt before doing the 70 miler. That aside the run over 26 hours should be quite feasible even if you break it down to 2hrs for 10 miles and 1hr 30 min break for a nap.

    From speaking to Ultra runners from my club, the problem is mental rather than physical once you over come that, you'll be grand. You to be able to regularly knock out a 30 mile run, to keep the training going. Also train by heart rate rather than speed.

    Have a read of this guys blog it is quite good.
    http://johnoregan.blogspot.com/
    He is an Irish Ultra runner, represented the country a few times, and there is some good info in their.

    Ciaran

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ciaran, useful as always. I just intend to get round it but I take your point re distance. Looking to be at marathon distance comfortably by march, so then 4 months to expand from there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go you! Such an awesome challenge. And if your friends and family have become tired or are no longer surprised by challenges fear not because us here in blogging land are always excited to hear what people have set for themselves.

    Can't wait to start hearing how the training goes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome! let me know if you need anything. Good luck with your quest!

    ReplyDelete