Sunday 16 October 2011

Northface Blacks single track trailrun.

One year ago exactly I completed my first trailrun and was immediately hooked on being closer to nature and engaging with the countryside. Along with a free copy of Trailrunning magazine I got some nice kit and had a great day, well satisfied with my 49:06 time.

But what a difference a year makes....

Last year I attended as a Trail virgin, nervous and excited, buzzing with excitement. In 12 months, the excitement hasn't gone, but my focus and determination have increased hugely. My wife came with me today, looking to do her first run, the equally challenging 5k. The weather was immense, chilled and with a heavy dew, but bright and windy. A great day to be outside.

I can't talk about the 5, but the 10k route starts with a quick first section, bringing the first mile in under 6 and a half minutes, before plunging into the shadows and single track on undulating terrain.
After tackling Bison hill, nearly 300ft of ascent, the course opens into woodland and farmland before returning to the start on open chalkland.

I put myself near the front of the pack for the first time in a race and gave it everything to keep up, instead of starting near the back and working through the pack. It seemed to work and without the pressure of overtaking, I settled into a fast pace, averaging 7:29 min/miles over the entire course.

I ended up in 31st position out of 430 runners. A good result for me.

On reflection, I enjoyed the day, I love the trails round here and I'm happy with the result. But most of all I loved sharing the day with my family. They were all there and its the support at these events that gets you through the tough parts.

God knows how much support I'll need to complete an ultra!



2 comments:

  1. How brilliant to revisit your first trail run a year later. How did you wife get on?

    ReplyDelete
  2. She did really well, 34 minutes for a tough trail 5k so she's happy. And looking to beat it next year.
    It was great doing the same run again, but in better shape. Inspires me to continue to improve.

    ReplyDelete