Wednesday 23 November 2011

Respect the miles.

When I put together the training plan for running an ultramarathon I was under no illusion that it would be easy.
I knew it was a long term project
I knew it would mean running a huge amount in training
I knew it would get boring doing them
I knew all of this and still started on it.

I never really figured myself as the type of person who would commit to a long term project like this and stick to it.
Two years ago, when I ran recreationally for the first time it wasn't easy and it wasn't fun, but slowly the work started paying off and I saw and felt the improvements. Rather than running because I had to, I was running for pleasure and to improve performance.
Events came and went, I collected medals, I got the goody bags and I established a fine collection of raceday t-shirts and race numbers.

I'm not sure where I read the phrase "Respect the Miles", but the further I run, the more gravitas it has. Respect for the miles that others are running regardless of how far. Respect for the miles I put in. Respect for the miles that a person can make themselves run. All runners know how much of a toll running takes on your body. So constantly increasing them increases that exponentially.

But if anyone is out there, reading this, wondering if they can run further and faster let me tell you this. Two years ago I was overweight and unfit. The first time I ran eight miles I was so busted that I managed to get upstairs for a shower but couldn't bend my legs to come back down the stairs. After my first half-marathon, I sat on a wall, fell in a bush and seriously doubted my ability to get back out .I know some amazing runners who run a marathon per week. I know others who regularly run ultra-marathon distances. Equally impressive are those new to the sport putting in their first 5k, booking their 10's, returning from injury to run half-marathons for the first time in years.

Whatever your distance is, watever your ability, respect what you achieve. Take a step back from the effort and the sweat and look at what you have accomplished. Respect the miles and the effort that it takes to run them.

TodayI ran 16.5 miles, next week will be 18 and by New Year I'll be up to the elusive 26.4 miles. It has taken me two years to get to the point where I can run 4 times a week and increase by 10% each week, but it's been worth the wait.

This morning I ran through a sunrise. From the sharp frost with a crystal clear moon, to a vanilla sky sunrise I watched the world wake up as I put the miles in.
Thanks to running, every week I am accomplishing something new, that I have never done before. As long as I respect the miles I think I'll be fine.



1 comment:

  1. Great blog. Your last paragraph made me very emotional.

    Well done to you for the miles you've covered and for the miles to come.

    ReplyDelete