Sunday 18 December 2011

Sharpening my teeth.

I will begin this post with a flashback, its necessary to set the scene and make sense of the bizarre title to this blog.

About 14 years ago I ran up a hill. Well I tried to run up a hill but halfway up my body gave in, I threw up and limped home holding my stomach. I ran because I had to and I ran badly. But perserverance paid off and I learned to run, the hard way on the local Downs. When I'd lost the weight and passed a fitness test I was training for, I stopped running.
The view from up here is pretty awesome, I'm very lucky to live here.
I always felt like I cut my teeth running on these hills. I've returned countless times since. Run these hills, done two races here and been here in all weathers. If I have a favourite place to run it is here. I mix of open grassland, chalk trail, woodland, mud and pathway, with infinite combinations of route.

And so it was that once I found out what trailrunning was, I realised I was already doing it. At the time I'd bought some Adidas Kanadia TR3's and I thought they were the business.




The view has changed since then. I'm 2 stone lighter, running further and faster than ever before and this week upgraded my shoes to match my new passion for running and form.


As usual I did my home work. Minimalist was a definite for me, I wanted loads of grip, because the trails round here turn to mud and bog very quickly. Imagine crumbling chalk covered in clay mud that has been churned up by horses and grazing sheep and you're getting there.
I've always been a huge fan of the inov-8 brand. I like their image and style and they have some great ambassadors on Twitter @Inov8Guy and @terryconway.

Terry's review of the Baregrip 200 sold me on this shoe. And I found it 20% cheaper on Up&Running's website. The shoe has zero drop and a very sticky sole. It grips everything and feels surprisingly supportive for such a pared down shoe. It weighs in at just over 200grams. The toe box felt narrow after the Merrell trailgloves, but not uncomfortably so.
Out on the trail, this shoe excels. Crazy levels of grip. Exposed tree roots and loose mud were no issue. The lugs on the bottom are made of very sticky rubber, they dig in and propel you forward.


These are a good quality shoe, comfortable and supportive, but aimed at those who have already become competent in barefoot/minimalist/posed running.

I love the styling and the feel of these shoes as much as the performance it offers. I did two runs on the same, short 2.5 mile route this week at my pace threshold. A mixture of on and off trail, both days were wet and very cold. Both included steep hills and a fast hill descent.

Using the inov-8 knocked three minutes off my time. Over a short route, that is awesome; especially as it was the second day. Plus, it snowed on the inov-8 run. Right in my ear!

On day three I wore these for a 10k off trails. As a steady paced run with no intentions of blasting it I was only 4 minutes of my 10 k best. These shoes don't make you run faster, but they are ridiculously light and give you the confidence to do it if you want to.

I learnt to run on these hills and I cut my teeth on the trails here. With these shoes, it's time to sharpen them.

No comments:

Post a Comment