Saturday 10 December 2011

Something old, something new...

This week I am in mourning. The Merrel trailglove which I bought six months ago is no more, having worn through both soles (right one slightly more) they have been retired to the bin. I must say the customer service at Merrell and Ellis Brigham was great and I think that if I pushed I could have got a free replacement under their 1-year warranty on Merrell's. These were my first "proper" trail shoes and I learnt a lot from them.
1) Wear socks, running barefoot/minimalist is great but once your shoes get wet a few times they do not smell good.
2) I need more traction and on reflection am probably off-trail more than I'm on it. I also like to run in the wet and the mud so more grip is the way forward.
3) I love minimalist shoes. They keep me light and fast. I feel more connected and respond better with more preternatural feedback.
So my Merrell's are my something old. Time to find something new...
Following advice from some amazing runners I have settled on the inov-8 Baregrip 200. Light, zero drop and a sole that looks like it could chew through pavement. I've ordered them in and get to try them on next week. I then intend to spend some serious time on the trails.
In other news, the ultra training continues. I ran my first run over 20 miles and was a little disappointed with my pace, averaging 8.42min/miles. But still, bringing in 20.5 miles in 3hrs flat was an achievement and I'm mindful of just how far it is. Again I based the run on my HR, setting the maximum at 145 and aiming to stay below it. This process still seems to work for me. I never feel to wrecked after a run, just tired and a bit achy in my legs. This comes from an ultrarunner technique I picked up aiming to keep your bpm at 70% of your max. Try it and discover new levels of stamina. As with last weeks long-run it was a 5 am start and a 9-bar to start, camelbak filled and Brooks Adrenalin donned for the roads. Overall I was happy with the run. And if I don't sound convinced it's because I'm frustrated at having to wait for another race. Nothing planned until April is killing me. It may be time to break out the race book.
I only managed to fit in one other run this week. I did four miles of intervals doing 400m on/400m off.  enjoyed it and definitely felt the change in pace was testing my resilience.
Some great new contacts on Twitter this week, some running ultras, some working towards their first 5/10k, half or marathon. Each of them inspirational in their dedication. Increasing my circle of runners has helped hugely. Seeing others going out running appeals to my competitive side. Reading of their pace makes me want to go faster and for those running ultras, it gives me something to aspire to.

1 comment:

  1. I wish you continued progress Dan. Enjoy the journey... Jerry

    ReplyDelete