Thursday 14 July 2011

In the words of Tao Te Ching.....


I had my second go out in my minimalist running shoes yesterday. The Vibram Fivefingers are hardcore minimalist. 3mm runner sole, no cushion and no support.
After my first go, where I set a 5k pb I ended up with calf strain for a week so I slowed down on purpose this time.
I still felt light on my feet and more connected, they definitely promote good running posture and increase cadence. As a result, I ended up running off my forefoot more but my calfs held up this time. Overall, the run was more fun and felt less like I was crashing through the countryside, more like I was skimming along it.
In the words of Tao Te Ching, "The best runner leaves no tracks". Maybe he was on to something.
Slow and steady seems the way to increase distance on minimalist shoes so I'll look at a seven k run next time.
Meanwhile, plans for a big run later in the year continue to develop.
Ultramarathon anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment